RHS Choir Audition For the 2020-21 School Year
ONLINE SIGN UP NOW AVAILABLE--CLICK HERE
Get the latest information about auditions by joining
2020/21 RHS Choir Auditions Remind by texting
@2021rhsc to 81010.
March 24, 25, 26, 27, 30, 31 and April 1, 2, 3?
Sign up online for one ten minute time spot on one day
Transfer and Out of District Students please email Mr. Spiess for an audition time if you cannot make the March/April dates. email@example.com
RHS Course Registration--All Treble Voice (Soprano/Alto) students will sign up for "Concert Choir". All Bass/Baritone/Tenor Voice students will sign up for "Men's Chorus". After auditions are complete we will place you in the correct choir.
Please Note: Concert Choir and Men's Chorus do not require an audition. Just sign up and you are in.
Advanced Women's Ensemble and Chamber Choir require and audition.
IT IS POSSIBLE TO TAKE MORE THAN ONE CHOIR IF YOUR SCHEDULE ALLOWS!
RHS Choirs 2020-21
1. Concert Choir(s): Non-Auditioned
Open to female/treble singers of any grade level. Just sign up and you are in.
2. Men's Chorus: Non-Auditioned
Open to any male/tenor, baritone, bass singer of any grade level. Just sign up and you are in!
3. Advanced Women's Ensemble (AWE): Auditioned Choir
Open to any female/treble singer desiring to perform high quality and challenging work in a fun,
fast paced learning environment. This ensemble is open to any female/treble singer of any
grade level attending RHS. Singers must complete an audition with Mr. Spiess.
4. Chamber Choir: Auditioned Choir
Chamber Choir is open to any male or female singer enrolled at RHS.
All singers must complete an audition with Mr. Spiess.
Requirements for ALL "Auditioned" Choirs
Hello 2020/21 Singers. We are excited that you want to audition for RHS Choirs. Auditions are pretty simple and you don't need to stress out over them. Simply follow the instructions found on the RHS Choir Webpage, Sign up right here, come to your audition time and have fun! RHS Choir Webpage Click Here
Thank you for signing up taking time to sign up for an audition time. Please fill in the the requested information on this sign up sheet. REMEMBER this sign-up is only needed for "Auditioned Ensembles" Advanced Women's Ensemble (AWE) and Chamber Choir. Concert Choir and Men's Ensemble are "Non-Auditioned" Choirs. All students need to sign up for "Concert Choir" regardless of wanting to be in another choir. Only Concert Choir shows up on the course signups through the school. Even though we have Concert Choir, Men's Chorus, Advanced Women's Ensemble and Chamber Choir you will not see it on the online course selection. We will place you in the correct ensemble after auditions and call backs are completed. It is possible to sing up for two ensembles in the same school year! If you don't audition you will automatically be placed in Concert Choir or Men's Chorus.
We look forward to hearing you soon.
Director of Choral and Vocal Activities
Rocklin High School
1. Please prepare a selection of a song of your choice that shows of your range, proper
vocal tone and technique. You do not need to prepare an entire piece. 16 bars of music
2. If you do not have a vocal piece prepared please audition please use these
recommendations as samples of songs to sing.
1. The National Anthem (Choose a key that is comfortable. Don't start off too high!)
2. My Country Tis' of Thee
3. Amazing Grace (One verse only A Cappella)
3. Vocal Range Check: Each singer auditioning will perform a series of vocal range and
technique exercises to determine voice type, vocal color and timbre. These are easy and
there is no need to prepare any in advance.
4. Sign up for an audition time online. You may also sing up for an audition time by emailing
Mr. Spiess at firstname.lastname@example.org. Incoming freshman can also sign up at the RHS Choir table
at the 2017-18 Showcase Night on March 6th in the Gym Lobby.
Online Audition Sign Up
Singers may receive a call back for AWE and Chamber Choir. A "Call Back" simply means that we need
to hear you one more time before making final decisions. Singers will sing the same audition piece
at a call back which they used for the first round audition. Call back dates will be posted online and on
the door of B-1 Choir room after the first round auditions are complete. A call back is not a guarantee
of acceptance into either of the two auditioned choirs. Singers receiving a call back MUST show up to
the requested call back audition.
Tips for Auditioning
1. Be Prepared! Please try to memorize your music. This will show how committed you are to
excellence in singing.
2. Be On-time! Please arrive early to your rehearsal. Plan to be at your rehearsal at least
15 minutes prior to your audition time.
3. Arrive Warmed Up! Singers who do not warm up their voices prior to an audition will not perform
well. Make sure you are well hydrated and warm!
4. Introduce yourself prior to singing. "Hello, my name is__________.
I will be singing__________, by/from___________for you today" works great to
formally introduce your self and also to break the ice and calm the nerves.
5. Dress casually but look presentable for an audition.
6. Smile and be friendly! We are excited to see and hear you. We hope you will be also.
7. BREATHE! Don't be intimidated and forget to breathe. Take a deep breath and relax.
This process is really easier than you think. We will help lighten the atmosphere so you
are not nervous.
8. If you make a mistake just keep going.
9 If you are singing a song that is not on our recommendation list above please have
accompaniment to sing with. A CD, phone, iPod or iPad works great and can be plugged into
our sound system easily. If you have an accompanist you may bring them along.
10. HAVE FUN! Remember these auditions are both serious and lighthearted at the same time.
We are excited to have you in the RHS Choir Program. We like to have fun and want you to
feel comfortable auditioning.
PLEASE EMAIL FOR AN AUDITION TIME. Incoming freshman may email, stop by the choir room or
sign up at Showcase Night March 5th in the Gym Lobby.
I look forward to meeting you!
Director of Choral and Vocal Activities
Rocklin High School